Katlyn Elaine Reynolds

My photo
Hey, my name is Katlyn I am a junior at HTHS. I am 16 and play soccer for the school team an olympic team and and indoor team. I chose my topic because I think criminal investigations are interesting. I am also planning on taking a course in college that has to do with my topic, so this gets me a head start.While doing my research there is never a dull moment, so it keeps me going.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Response 1


Theories on life as it is today vary and are all debateable. Many are unanswered and will remain unanswered. The question that many criminologists have yet to answer is; Is being a criminal genetic or is it the influence of others around you?

Psycholologist Dorothy Otnow Lewis and her associates found that murderous youths have major signs of neurological impairment. They also have low intellegence after reviewing IQ tests. Most murderous teenagers have psychotic relatives and psychotic symptoms such as paranoia. Paranoia is where you have illogical thinking and hallucinations. This theory states that youths that commit crimes suffer from psychological problems and it has nothing to do with who you grew up around but it is all based on genetics. Saying this there is still no real diagnosis for these psychotic problems (Wadswroth 322).

Another theory is that being a criminal has nothing to do with genetics but has to do with the influence of others that surround you in your everyday lives. Also it has to do with the type of neighborhood you grew up in. Many criminologists believe that the economic class position is a cause of crime. This is referred to as the Social Structure Theory. This theory states that residents in lower class areas are prone into criminal behavior patterns. Also this theory considers the unsupervised teenage gangs, high crime rates, and social disorder in slum areas, as major problems. Although people of the middle and upper classes also engage in crime, social structure theories view middle-class crime as not being thats serious(Wadsworth 180). So people who grow up in the lower class are more exposed to crime as to those in the middle and upper classes.

2 comments:

  1. Great summay but you are lacking a direct quote, a citation, and a picture :(
    20/50

    20/20

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought the picture was suppose to be in the title.

    ReplyDelete